A Better Way To Sell
A lead generated through a solid demand generation strategy, supported by a robust marketing automation tool, will ensure a nurtured, mature, sales-ready lead is turned over to sales. This process for accelerating lead qualification can significantly lower the overall cost of getting a qualified prospect with a potential opportunity into your sales pipeline.
When you remove the distractions of the sales team serving as early educators and remove the need to manually nurture unqualified leads, you enable your professional sales team to focus on pipeline activities that progress an opportunity through the sales cycle. Want your sales team to be more effective in moving opportunities through their life cycle?
Get them back to these six core things every great sales person loves to do:
- Relationship Building
- Following-Up With An Interested Prospect
- Scoping the Work
- Creating and Putting Forward Proposals for Consideration
- Closing Deals
Marketing automation is agile enough to support your unique lead life-cycle needs, from attraction, capturing, to nurturing and scoring leads at every stage of engagement.
At a minimum, the marketing automation process provides business intelligence most sales teams would want:
• A visitor’s or lead’s engagement with your online content which could signal their WHY for being on your website.
• Detailed campaign information – what brought them to you in the first place? What campaign or offer triggered their response? An advertisement, trade show, or article perhaps? If so, what campaign(s) can be associated with closed-won opportunities?
• Possible additional needs or pain points they might be trying to address or solve at their company. While it could loosely be related to the original inquiry, it’s also equally possible that clicking around your website and lingering on other solutions you offer may signal opportunities that otherwise may have remained unknown to sales.
• A measurement of the prospect’s interest through an objective lead score. The lead score is a dynamically, pre-determined, and auto-assigned number often associated with demographic details such as title, region, and company. Lead scores are for scoring of behavioral activity that can occur as a result of engagement with your online marketing assets such as your website, content downloads, and form submittals. A lead score that is trending upward would be an overt buying signal indicating that a lead (suspect) is now sales-ready.
In the end, marketing and sales are functionally distinct, and yet reliant on one another for any lead-to-opportunity process to succeed. Working together in alignment, and playing to each team’s unique strengths, a marketing empowerment and sales acceleration tool such as marketing automation creates not only efficiencies in sales pipeline processes but promise a much improved prospect-to-customer conversion experience.
To find out more about the unintended consequences of sending your sales team a lead that isn’t ready yet, click here to read more.